Welcome to our Audition webpage! Here, you will find answers to most questions about auditioning for any part of the Famous Maroon Band Program. Information found on this page includes:
Contact the Band Office at 662-325-2713 to schedule your audition.
- Friday, January 26, 2018 (for students attending the MSU Honor Band Clinic)
- Saturday, February 17, 2018 (also the preferred audition date for students majoring in music or music education)
- Saturday, March 17, 2018
- Weekday auditions are available by appointment from January–May
- 5 major scales (Student's choice. 2 octaves where appropriate.)
- A chromatic scale
- A 1-2 minute prepared piece that demonstrates your best qualities as a musician
- Sight reading
Percussionists are encouraged to audition on multiple instruments, but this is not required.
- Snare Drum
- 5 rudiments (Student's choice. Open-Closed-Open)
- Long Roll
- A 1-2 minute prepared piece (on concert or marching snare) that demonstrates your best qualities as a musician
- Sight reading
- Mallet Percussion
- Same as Brass & Woodwind requirements
- Percussionists must also be placed successfully on the drumline to receive a scholarship award. See below.
- Saturday, April 21, 2018. Audition material will be posted in early 2018.
- Students must be admitted to MSU at the time of the audition. Visit the admissions website to apply online.
If you have any questions about auditioning for the Famous Maroon Band, please contact the band office at 662-325-2713 or submit an online message to us.