Welcome to our Audition webpage! Here, you will find answers to most questions about auditioning for any part of the Famous Maroon Band Program. Information found on this page includes:
Contact the Band Office at 662-325-2713 to schedule your audition.
- Monday, November 5, 2018. This audition date is only for music/music education majors who are attending the Department of Music’s “Discovery Day.”
- Friday, January 25, 2019. This audition date is only for seniors attending the MSU Honor Band Clinic.
- Saturday, February 16, 2019. Open to all students but is also the preferred audition date for students majoring in music or music education.
- Saturday, March 16, 2019. Open to all students.
- Weekdays, January through the end of March. Open to all students.
- 5 major scales (Student's choice. 2 octaves where appropriate.)
- A chromatic scale
- A 1-2 minute prepared piece that demonstrates your best qualities as a musician
- Sight reading
Percussionists are encouraged to audition on multiple instruments, but this is not required.
- Snare Drum
- 5 rudiments (Student's choice. Open-Closed-Open)
- Long Roll
- A 1-2 minute prepared piece (on concert or marching snare) that demonstrates your best qualities as a musician
- Sight reading
- Mallet Percussion
- Same as Brass & Woodwind requirements
- Percussionists must also be placed successfully on the drumline to receive a scholarship award. See below.
- Drumline auditions are held in early May. Audition material will be posted in early 2019.
- Auditions are held in late April. Look for audition information to be posted in early 2019.
- Students must be admitted to MSU at the time of the audition. Visit the admissions website to apply online.
If you have any questions about auditioning for the Famous Maroon Band, please contact the band office at 662-325-2713 or submit an online message to us.